Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Miles Better Pies, Te Anau

Wanaka- 190

There are a lot of food cravings and aversions I've been having lately. But there is one thing I'm sure of. I have not given up my love for meat pies. They are only just a distant memory now. A sweet dream I once had.

Oh meat pies, how I love you so.

Wanaka- 200

On our way to the Milford Sound (how have I never blogged about that?!) we stopped in Te Anau. Well actually the glass-roofed coach we were in stopped. Anyway, the tour guide specifically mentioned Miles Better Pies as one of the best in New Zealand and suggested the wild venison pie.

Wanaka- 192

An entire tour bus of people and we were the only ones to listen to our guide. Listen to the locals, people! I'll admit I was a little hesitant because I'm not a huge fan of gamey meat.

If you are ever in NZ and heading to either Milford or Doubtful Sounds chances are you'll be stopping in Te Anau. This place is just off the main street.

I'm telling you, stop by and get a venison pie. It wasn't gamey at all and the sauce was completely delicious. Thick and flavorful it had just a little something we couldn't put our finger on. Was it a spice? When B went back in to ask, they were kind enough to explain they add a touch of plum sauce to the gravy.

Wanaka- 196

I had the steak pie...again. I loved the crust on these pies as well. Different from Paetiki Bakery, these were just a bit more solid and less flakey on top. Equally as large though.

Isn't it cute how they mark the pies with the letter of its filling?

Wanaka- 199

Get a load of that meat! Huge chunks of meat in a savory gravy.

The wild venison pie was by far B's favorite meat pie and Miles Better Pies his favorite pie bakery. You can't even imagine the amount we tried while we were over there. Simple comfort food.

Wanaka- 201

That's my dorky husband with the chef. :)

What comfort food do you love?

12 comments:

  1. There you go with the meat pies again...man Dandy, are you serious? If I drool on my work keyboard that will do some serious damage to my reputation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meat pie definitely looks good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just about kill for my Mama's buttermilk sour cream cookies right now... Cookies are my comfort food. And cake. And popcorn. And homemade tomato soup. And s'mores.

    I can have more than one, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... and hey there pregolicious, are ya craving anything???

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you first started talking meat pie...it grossed me out. But that looked really really good. Now I want one! No meat pies to be found here in Minnesota!!! Thanks a lot:)

    My favorite comfort food would have to be steak, crab cakes, mashed potatoes and red velvet cake for dessert. YUMMY:) What can I say...I'm a meat and potato girl. It's the mid-west in me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget about me. I need your hummm assignment by tomorrow or thursday by the latest. Thank you my dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say homemade apple pie right out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.


    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, I shouldn't come here when I am hungry. The meat pie looks fabulous. And I would have to say that my comfort food is homemade bread with butter. Or apple pie. Or Hamburger Macaroni Casserole. Or....the list is endless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, the more I hear about meat pies, the more I want them! They sound sooooo good! My favorite comfort food is probably home made macaroni and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burritos! Well, any mexican food. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pies, but I don't like the crusts. Hmmm, does that make sense?

    My comfort food - steam dumplings. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips