Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

#9 / 52 Food Adventures: Food from The Playground

Picnik collage

This weeks food adventure was all about trying a new twist on things I've already had.
We went to dinner at The Playground for our friend Courtney's birthday.

It is a food lover's playground for sure.
I'll be doing a full post later at Eating the Orange but I couldn't help sharing some of the fun here.

First up we had crispy broccolini with a calabrian chili vinaigrette.  I've never heard of calabrian chili but now that I've seen the name I'm starting to notice it around.  The vinaigrette had the perfect balance of zing, smokiness, spice and salt.

We also had the honey roasted scarlet turnips.  I never knew that turnips could be gobbled up like candy.
I'll be keeping my eye out for more scarlet turnips as a fun way to mix things up a bit.

IMG_5016

The best fried chicken I've ever had in my life.

Apparently the chef/owner (who is a mere 25 years old) had this amazing chicken in New Orleans and came back home to re-create it.

It starts with a soak in Thomas Keller's brine, then gets dredged in a mixture of 3 parts Wondra, 1 part black pepper with a dash of cayenne and cinnamon.  Then it's tossed in a mixture of honey, red wine vinegar and Louisiana hot sauce.

It's not like any fried chicken I've ever tried and it's absolutely incredible.

IMG_5027

This last dish is so simple.

Sumo tangerines (or any kind of tangerine) with good quality olive oil and sprinkled with maldon sea salt.

I'd never thought to season tangerines or oranges with olive oil and salt.
I'm not sure why as I love salads with citrus on top.

I'll be doing this again.

I can't wait to go back to The Playground for some more food fun.

5 comments:

  1. Woot! I can't wait to read your post on Eating the Orange. These are the only photos I have of my birthday dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well yeehaw i could do olive oil and sea salt. i'll have to try and remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that fried chicken looks increddddddible! I've so been slacking on my Food Adventures. Although, this week I did make bread using the left over whey from my yogurt making. Now, tell me that ain't adventurous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you have left over whey from making yogurt just kills me.

      Delete
  4. You would be so much fun to go out to dinner with. We would take pictures of our food and talk books and our children all night long. I wish...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips